Peter Fischli and David Weiss were both born in Zürich, Switzerland in 1952 and 1946, respectively. Fischli attended the Academia di Belle Arti in Urbino and Bologna, completing his studies in 1977, while Weiss studied at Vorkurs, Kunstgewerbeschule in Zürich from 1963 to 1964 and at Kunstgewerbeschule in Basel from 1964 to 1965. Since 1979, Fischli and Weiss have worked together as a team, exhibiting widely in numerous solo and group exhibitions in museums and galleries around the world, including the 50th Carnegie International in 1988. They have been featured in a wide range of solo exhibitions at museums, including their first retrospective organized by the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis (1996) which traveled to the Institute of Contemporary Art, Philadelphia, PA, the Wexner Center for the Arts, Columbus, Ohio, the Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, CA, the Institute of Contemporary Art, Boson, MA, and the Kunstmuseum, Wolfsburg, Germany. They have widely shown their work internationally at institutions such as Museu d'Art Contemporani, Barcelona, Spain; the Museu du Arte Contemporânea Fundaçao de Serralves, Porto, Portugal; and the Museo Tamayo, Mexico City, Mexico. They were the featured artists in the Swiss Pavilion at the 1995 Venice Biennale and in 2000, were awarded the Günther-Peill-Preis from the Leopold-Hoesch-Museum in Düren, Germany.