Sèvres, the national porcelain manufactory of France, was originally established at Vincennes in 1738. In 1756 it moved to Sèvres and the factory is still in operation there today. It reached its zenith in the 18th century under the patronage of Louis XV when it became the custom to use porcelain for diplomatic presents. The Sèvres factory barely survived the revolution but under the direction of Alexandre Brongniart from 1800 to 1847 the factory embraced the emerging industrial revolution in France and continued to prosper and evolve under his expert guidance. Brongniart encouraged the study of history, and especially ceramics history, as a source for inspiration for new models and decorations. This creative and innovative director positioned the factory to meet the demands of the new 19th-century markets. New designs, materials and techniques were achieved and mass production carefully controlled. His groundwork meant that superb porcelain production continued through the second half of the 19th century.